Date:      Fri, 09 Mar 2001 16:47:19 -0800
From:      Forrest <praxis@techpraxis.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Accidentally upgraded to 4.3-BETA; how do I fix problems

Hi folks, hoping that someone here can help us out.
We have been happily running a FreeBSD 4.1 server for a year. No problems of
any consequence. We upgraded to 4.2-RELEASE, via cvsup, no problems.
A few days ago, we were running 4.2-RELEASE, and decided to upgrade to
4.2-STABLE. Our standard-supfile we configured to read, like normal:

[in 'Defaults that apply to all connections']
*default host=cvsup1.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4  [problem here??]
*default delete use-rel-suffix

And of course, in 'Main Source Tree'
Src-all

OK, well we cvsup'ed, built a new kernel, made world, merge differences--
There was a problem here, we may have overridden our original /etc files and
we lost the tar we made of the original /etc...

So now I've got, according to uname
4.3-BETA,
Of which I can't find much mention anywhere on mailing lists or web..
How did this happen?

Problems:
First, X doesn't work at all. When starting x, we get:
Authentication failed - cannot start X server.
Perhaps you do not have console ownership?
[then...]
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno =2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno =2
[again]
[and finally it gives up]
Xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
Xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

Okay next problem.

In /etc/rc.conf, I have inetd turned "off"
Yet ps -aux | grep inetd yields:
Root 105 0.0 0.2 1036 748 ?? Is 3:45PM 0:00.01 inetd

What gives? Also, any other change I make to rc.conf, whether manually or
with /stand/sysinstall, has no effect!
This leads me to believe that the system is being controlled by other files.

Okay, that's it for now, I'm sure I will get some "duh, you forgot the
obvious" answers, but that's the price for upgrading to a BETA, even though
it was (mea culpa) an accident...

Forrest